Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was teaching a high school Spanish class, and a student (who was raised in Texas, but has Mexican relatives) told me that he has heard "veni" instead of "viene". I'd like to know if this is something that is used in Mexico or Texas, or maybe something that he has misunderstood. My only thought is that he has heard, "Ven ahí" and morphed it into one word. There is also "Venid" without hearing the "d" but that would be uncommon around Texas. Also, please don't focus on "viene" being in the present tense and other forms being commands (or any other forms you may suggest). This student wasn't saying it was exactly the same, and wasn't focused on the tense being used, just that he'd heard a different word.

Please help me stay a step ahead of this student on this. Thanks!

share|improve this question
Vení (with an accent on the i) is the imperative vos form of venir in places where voseo occurs, but as I understand it voseo is almost nonexistent in Mexico. –  jrdioko Mar 22 '12 at 22:21
+1 This should be an answer –  Kage Mar 23 '12 at 2:42
Maybe he heard "ven y" (and understood "veni") as in a sentence like "ven y prueba esto". –  Javi Mar 23 '12 at 7:59

@Kage: Made it an answer. –  jrdioko Mar 23 '12 at 16:41

7 Answers 7

up vote 14 down vote accepted

"Veni" isn't a word in standard Spanish. However, vení (with an accent on the i) is the affirmative imperative vos form of venir in places where voseo occurs. But according to the Wikipedia article on voseo, vos is "only used [in Mexico] in some small parts of Chiapas and Tabasco, being completely unused in the rest of the country." However, voseo is standard in Argentina and Uruguay.

If the student is from Texas and Mexico, as others have said it's probably more likely that he heard something like ven y ver (as part of a longer sentence) and thought he was hearing the word "veni."

share|improve this answer
"ven y ver" is not correct. You should conjugate the second verb (it can't be in infinitive). So it can be in imperative: "ven y ve (esto)" (though it sounds a bit unnatural) or in future: "ven y verás". –  Javi Mar 23 '12 at 22:00

Ah, good point. Although I checked Google and "ven y ver" has 19.8 million results, "ven y ve" has 217 thousand, and "ven y verás" has 1.7 million. –  jrdioko Mar 23 '12 at 23:06
If you join a conjugated verb with an infinitive verb is like if you say in English: "come and to see*" or "come and seeing*". It doesn't make sense. Maybe that fragment can be part of a sentence where "ven" is used inside a subordinate clause where the main clause has the verb in infinitive form. For example in a to-do List: "Seguir las instrucciones que ven y ver si se consigue el resultado". But a sentence like "ven y ver" is senseless. –  Javi Mar 23 '12 at 23:31
Maybe I don't hear it correctly, but I hear this all the time in Argentina. +vos is used instead of tu there. –  Lyndsey Ferguson Mar 29 '12 at 2:08
This is also correct in Nicaragua …… "veni ve", "come see "…… –  Necronet May 18 '12 at 21:39

Al leat in Spain "veni" is only used when quoting at Julius Caesar, as noted by imanol, but "vení" probably might be understand like "venid". So "¡vos, vení!!" ~ "¡vosotros, venid!" ergo mean "¡tú,ven!". "Vos" is never used in modern spanish in Spain, but this is nothing compared to decrypt the modern andalusian "venacapacá" that mean "ven acá para acá" ("come here, right here").

As far as I know, vení (or other imperative forms like that) are not used in Mexico, but are used in some countries in South America (Argentina and Uruguay, for example):

• ¡Vos, vení!

In Mexico, the equivalent expresion is ven or venga:

• ¡Tú, vén!
  • ¡Usted, venga!

Vení is also used in Nicaragua extensively, especially in the imperative form. They like to put the accent on the second syllable so it sounds like this, with approximate translations:

Esperáme! (Wait for me!) Paráte! (Stop it!) Dejálo! (Leave him/it!) Veníte! (Come here)

I've heard this numerous times in both rural and urban areas. You can hear and see voseo being used everywhere, especially in advertisements. Nicaraguans swallow their S's however, so vos sounds more like vo. Vos so loca = Vo so loca :)

I support your answer..In Nicaragua we use a lot "veni" in the context you explained. We use "vos" instead of "tu" :) –  cayerdis Jan 11 '13 at 6:02

La forma imperativa es usada no solo en Nicaragua, sino desde Guatemala hasta Costa Rica, también en Colombia y Argentina. No tengo experiencia en otros países del área, pero si hablan de vos seguramente también ocurre. –  jachguate Jan 24 '13 at 5:38

As they said above, "vení" is a word that virtually nobody use in Mexico.

In Argentina, we use it a lot. As the first answer said, it's the imperative form of "venir" but it's just use in countries in which the word "vos" (instead of "tu") is frequently used.

In Argentina, you say, for example "¡vení a ver eso!". It means "come to see that!".

In other countries, you probably say "ven a ver eso".

Maybe he's misunderstanding Spanish and Latin.

In latin Veni means go to (ir a in Spanish).

Maybe he has heard this famous latin quote:

Veni, vidi, vici

I'm from Mexico myself, and I've never heard veni (And I've been in Northern and Central Mexico and Texas), so I'd say that student maybe got confused as you mention with something like Ven ahi or even vine said the wrong way.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.