Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When giving directions in English, we typically say "turn" to mean a full 90 degree (more or less) turn, but a shallow turn can be a "slight left/right" and we might say something like "bear right at the fork in the road." How do you convey "slight left/right" and "to bear left/right" in Spanish?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I would translate "slight left/right" as :

Pequeña izquierda / Pequeña derecha

For example:

Haz una pequeña izquierda cuando llegues a la intersección.

Another way I would express that would be diagonal a la izquierda / diagonal a la derecha.

For example:

Haz una diagonal a la izquierda cuando llegues a la intersección.

Te term diagonal makes it obvious that you are not talking about the 90o turn but rather a 45o turn more or less.

Update: Another suggestion (mentioned by Javi on his comment) would be: gira ligeramente a la izquierda/derecha.

Update 2: Dusan suggests Gira un poco hacia la derecha/izquierda.

share|improve this answer
Maybe "gira ligeramente hacia..." can work. I had never heard "pequeña derecha/izquierda"maybe its use is regional. –  Javi Mar 20 '12 at 18:56

@Javi good suggestion (gira ligeramente....) will add it to my answer. As for the pequeña izquierda it's probably regional, then. I think it's easy to understand that you mean a little turn to the left/right –  Icarus Mar 20 '12 at 18:58

I usually just say "sigue hacia la (derecha/izquierda) when it's not a full turn. –  Laura Mar 20 '12 at 20:15

I would say "Gira un poco hacia la (derecha/izquierda)". –  dusan Mar 20 '12 at 21:45

It might depend on the localization.

In Mexico we say:

Gira tantito a ...

Gira poquito a...

Gira ligeramente a...

Gira un poco a...

I'm not sure however if any of this sound weird to anyone from, lets say, Uruguay or Argentina.

We also tend to say Quebrar (Break) when implying a drastic 90° turn:

-Quiébrate a la derecha.

In Spain:

Girar ligeramente hacia la izquierda/derecha

Girar levemente hacia...

Girar un poco hacia...

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.