Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Fiscalía in Spanish refers to a district attorney or public prosecutor. "Fiscal" (in English or Spanish) describes something related to finances. This always confused me because the words are very similar but seem to have fairly different meanings. Are the two related? What is the etymology of fiscalía?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

Fiscalía refers to the office of a district attorney or public prosecutor rather than the attorney / prosecutor itself. The attorney / prosecutor is a fiscal.

I can't tell you much about etymology, but both words are indeed related and I think they derive from fisco, which refers primarily to the treasury (as in the US Treasury).

For what is worth, wiktionary says this about fisco:

Etimología: del latín fiscus, "tesoro personal del emperador"

Fiscalizar is also another common word with the same origin, meaning to supervise or to control (for instance, an election to prevent fraud; generally, at least in Argentina, the parties involved in an election send fiscales to the polling stations).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.