Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In technical terms, what is the correct way to refer to a computer's Clipboard in Spanish? The automated translators say it's "Portapapeles"

share|improve this question
up vote 12 down vote accepted

Yes, portapapeles is the correct translation; here it is its meaning, according to the RAE:


  1. m. Inform. Depósito temporal en la memoria de una computadora donde se coloca información para utilizarla posteriormente.

As you can see, portapapeles is a temporary deposit in a computer's memory to store information for a later use.

As a historical note, the word portapapeles was only recently accepted by the RAE and it will officially "appear in society" in the 23rd edition of the DRAE.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.