Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is the word aburrir (get bored) etymologically related with the word burro (donkey)?

They seem to share a common root (burr). Plus, there is a spanish saying:

Solo los burros se aburren

share|improve this question
I've often heard this funny silly sentence. — Me aburro... — !Pues cómprate un burro! ;) It's just a play on words because of the similarity in spelling of both words. –  Javi Mar 13 '12 at 14:26

I invented a Spanish Tom Swifty: —El asno no hace nada — dijo Tomás, aburrido. –  Michael Wolf Mar 14 '12 at 4:15

1 Answer 1

up vote 14 down vote accepted

No, aburrir comes from the Latin abhorrere, related with the English word abhor.
Burro or borrico comes also from the Latin, but from a different root, burricus (caballejo).

share|improve this answer
It could help for completeness if you copied the relevant text in the links you provided. In case the links die, the content will always be available for the community. Something to think about. :D Other than that, great work! +1 –  Joze Mar 11 '12 at 20:37

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.