Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The Spanish equivalent of the English word "encounter" is "rencontrar." Why does the Spanish version have the beginning "r" when the English one doesn't?

The source is the Spanish version of "Tea for Two,"

Tu serás aquel amor, que yo soñé en rencontrar.

I learned the song years ago, but can't find a google version.

share|improve this question

This sounds like two questions; one of which is on-topic on this site. That being "What is the etymology of rencontrar?" For the other ("What is the etymology of encounter?), English.SE would be a better place to ask. –  Flimzy Feb 13 '12 at 21:41

@Flimzy: The intent of the question is, "why is the Spanish form different from the English one" (specifically, where does the "r" come from). I may have asked the same question two ways, and it may also have lost something in the editing. –  Tom Au Feb 13 '12 at 21:56

I'm not sure that's a very interesting question, but please see my related meta post, and offer your feedback there. I don't want to make a unilateral decision. –  Flimzy Feb 13 '12 at 22:01
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

first of all, the Spanish equivalent of encourter is encuentro o encontrar, not rencontrar. The song you are referring to might be saying reencontrar, which is the word encuentro with the prefix re, that prefix means repetition or augmentation, depending on context, you can find it with a dash (-) like re-encontrar or without reencontrar. In the song you are quoting is like saying encounter or find it again as in once I had it and I lost it, alguna vez soné con reencontrarlo.

share|improve this answer
add comment

The premise that the Spanish equivalent of "encounter" is "rencontrar" is false.

"Rencontrar" means "to re-encounter", or to encounter again, for a second time for example. Hence the "r".

share|improve this answer
That's a good thing to know. You corrected a mistake on my part. an upvote. –  Tom Au Feb 13 '12 at 22:35
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.