Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

After years of living in a Spanish-speaking country, and speaking mostly only Spanish all day, I still struggle with 'llevar' and 'traer'. The rules are clear and all, but it is just very difficult to apply this properly. Is there anybody who has a special trick that helped him/her to do this the right way?

share|improve this question
Can you add a little context or example? I can't understand the problem. –  Laura Feb 10 '12 at 7:30

+1 for Laura's comment. I sort of imagine the confusion you might have, but it'd be much better if you provided a couple of examples of actual uses where you don't know which word to use. –  Janoma Feb 10 '12 at 12:59
I am afraid the distinction between "llevar" and "traer" is as tricky as that between "ir" and "venir" or "come" and "go" in English. Use is idiomatic and I don't think that strict rules can be enunciated. –  CesarGon Feb 10 '12 at 14:42
add comment

5 Answers

llevar = to take (to go to someplace and carry something with you.)

traer = to bring (to come to someplace and carry something with you.)

Examples:

Llevale estas manzanas a tu abuela.

Trae unas cervezas para la fiesta de la noche.

As a side note, an interesting thing is that in Japanese the corresponding verbs are made up of two verbs:

持っていく = to take (to carry + to go)

持ってくる = to bring (to carry + to come)

share|improve this answer
add comment

I would say llevar is to ir as traer is to venir. So, llevar-ir vs traer-venir. Just relate the 'LL' sound with the fact of going away ...

add comment

I always remember that at a restaurant I'm asked para aquí o para llevar? And since I never bring my food to a restaurant, llevar clearly means to take (away).

Although this only helps if you properly remember what a restaurant cashier asks. :)

add comment

You can use this:

El burrito del teniente lleva carga y no la siente

where lleva means to carry something. By remembering this you can infer the meaning of traer (to bring).

Just an idea :)

add comment

Camarero, traígame una cerveza!

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.