Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the difference between oreja and oído?

Both mean ear, no?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 11 down vote accepted

Oído: the whole organ or organs of hearing
Oreja: just the "external ear".

This is the definition of ear according to the Webster dictionary:

ear noun \ˈir\
Definition of EAR
1 a : the characteristic vertebrate organ of hearing and equilibrium consisting in the typical mammal of a sound-collecting outer ear separated by the tympanic membrane from a sound-transmitting middle ear that in turn is > separated from a sensory inner ear by membranous fenestrae
b : any of various organs (as of a fish) capable of detecting vibratory motion

2: the external ear of humans and most mammals
[...]

According to this, oído refers to definition 1, and oreja to definition 2.

share|improve this answer
"oído" can also be the sense of hearing. –  Javi Feb 8 '12 at 8:26

@Javi: Yes, and it's also the participle of oír, and something about firearms and explosives. But regarding the difference between oído and oreja, I think the anatomical meanings are just enough. By the way, oreja also means "sentido de la audición", so in that meaning they're just the same. –  MikMik Feb 8 '12 at 8:53
RAE can say they are the same, but at least in Spain people uses only "oído" for that meaning. "Los cinco sentidos son vista, olfato, gusto, tacto y oído". –  Javi Feb 8 '12 at 9:05

Thank you guys! –  Cadenza Feb 8 '12 at 12:17

I'm not a native speaker, but it feels weird to me to use "oreja" meaning the sense of hearing... –  Alenanno Mar 12 '12 at 23:20

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.