Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English, when describing software you say "open source" to refer to software that's source code has been made available under a license.

"Free software" refers to 'truly free' software that can be used and modified freely.

Normally, I would say "software libre", but that doesn't really seem to capture the full concept. How would a native speaker translate each of these terms while preserving the distinction?

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 11 down vote accepted

It's pretty simple:

Open Source: "Código abierto"

Free Software: "Software libre"

There's no way to get confused.

share|improve this answer
add comment

According to Wikipedia it looks like the (or at least a) proper translation of open source is código abierto. I'm pretty sure I've also seen just the phrase open source used, without translation. Likewise, I've seen free software used without translation (in fact the Wikipedia page linked even does that).

At least in Spanish the distinction between free (gratis) software and free (libre) software isn't as confusing as in English!

+1 for that bit about gratis vs. libre. –  CesarGon Jan 23 '12 at 0:51
add comment

The great rms (Richard Stallman) uses "el software libre" in his Spanish talks, though I can't remember how he references merely "open source". I suppose like many terms it should be OK to just say "open source". At least there's a difference between "software gratis" and "software libre" :)

add comment

It is known as (or translated as)

Software Libre

or

Software de código libre

* Código, you forget the ó –  Aracem Nov 16 '11 at 8:25

Also you should change "Is is" to "It is". –  hippietrail Nov 16 '11 at 10:25
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.