Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

WordReference says that the Spanish word desafuero can be used to refer to the "withdrawal of parliamentary/ministerial privileges." I recently saw this word used in this sense in a newspaper article. Is there a single word or phrase in English that has this technical meaning? Or would it be translated as the whole definition: "withdrawal of parliamentary/ministerial privileges"?

The article's headline was: "Insisten en desafuero a Montealegre."

share|improve this question

The Spanish "fuero" can be translated as "charter", as in a grant of authority or rights. "Aforar", therefore, means to grant a charter to someone or something. "Desaforar" means to withdraw a charter from someone or something. And "desafuero" is the withdrawal of a charter. It could be roughly translated as "de-charting". I know, it's not pretty, but I can't think of anything better.

share|improve this answer
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I just realized there's an English Wikipedia article on this exact concept. It says:

The Spanish-language term desafuero refers to the process through which a government official's official immunity to criminal prosecution is removed.

Strictly speaking the term is incorrect, as fuero (from Latin "forum") refers to the freedom of speech protection enjoyed by members of Congress, but since this protection is frequently confused with the immunity against criminal prosecution of top executive branch officials, the term is commonly used by the public in this latter sense.

Another Wikipedia article talks about a famous desafuero case in Mexico. The Spanish Wikipedia article explains:

El desafuero es el acto jurídico mediante el cual a una persona aforada se le retiran sus privilegios.

So it sounds like desafuero is a technical legal/government term used in certain governments of Spanish-speaking countries, and its proper English translation is... "desafuero."

share|improve this answer
Not only. Desafuero also has a common meaning, which is what I explain in my answer. Please check the DRAE. – CesarGon Feb 8 '12 at 22:32
@CesarGon: Ah ok. In this question though I was thinking specifically about its legal definition. – jrdioko Feb 8 '12 at 22:39

There are a few words in English that have the same meaning but nothing exact. If you brake the word down "des" prefix for undoing or disjointed and "afuera" is outside.

Getting grounded by your parents is a "disafuero" it is a taking of some basic fredom(s) or right.

Being on parole can be construed as a "disafuero"

share|improve this answer
"afuera" doesn't have anything to do with "desafuero". "Desafuero" comes from "fuero" which is a type of privilege. – Juanillo Feb 7 '12 at 10:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.