Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's the best way to say "I wish!" as in...

A: I hear you're a good dancer.

B: Ha! I wish!

Or...

A: Will you help me move this piano?

B: Ha! You wish!

What is the best way to translate these idiomatic expressions, and their sarcastic tone?

share|improve this question
I think some of the answers don't really consider the sarcastic way you are using these words. –  Peter Olson Nov 16 '11 at 13:31

thinking of accepting an answer any soon? –  isJustMe Mar 16 '12 at 13:50

@Rafael.IT: It's hard to select just one, when they all contain good answers :) –  Flimzy Mar 16 '12 at 17:48

4 Answers 4

up vote 13 down vote accepted

I want to make a note that my answer applies at least for Mexico, it would be:

I wish! - ¡Ya quisiera!

You wish! - ¡Ya quisieras!

In this case wish wouldn't translate as espero, but more like desear or querer.

share|improve this answer

I add a little modification to the answer of the 2º question. If the meaning that you want to give to the phrase is near to a joke or say to the other person "i dont help you" use "Ya quisieras" But if you want to say that you want to help and you are happy to help him: "claro ¡cómo quieras! –  Aracem Nov 16 '11 at 8:20

A: I hear you're a good dancer.

B: Quisiera serlo

A: Will you help me move this piano?

B: Si es lo que quieres

'Espero' is more as 'wait' than 'wish'. 'Quiero' is more realted with 'wish' and 'need'

I believe the second use of You wish is meant to be sarcastic. So in the case of Si es lo que quieres (If that's what you want), you'd want to say the opposite of that. –  R0MANARMY Nov 17 '11 at 3:34

For example, in one word I would translate:

B: Ha! I wish!

into

B: ¡Ja! ¡Ojalá!

Source: RAE

Does this work everywhere or just Mexico? I always mix up ojalá and híjole... –  hippietrail Nov 16 '11 at 11:51
"Ojalá" is very common in Spain. In fact, it comes from the arab language, from the times where most of Spain was under muslim rule. There's a nice explanation here: etimologias.dechile.net/?ojala.- –  rsuarez Nov 16 '11 at 12:46

how would you use Ojalá to You wish! though? –  isJustMe Nov 16 '11 at 16:12

@Rafael.IT you can't translate You wish! with ojalá. Thats why I just put I whish. –  razpeitia Nov 16 '11 at 17:32

I see.. is still a good answer, thanks for that! –  isJustMe Nov 16 '11 at 17:35

Besides what others have written, I'd add these two translations:

I wish! = ¡Ya me gustaría!

You wish! = ¡Ya te gustaría!

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.