Please look at this sentence:

¿Pero hacen algo los críos, no?

¿Las marmotas ? no.

No, es la marmota que le sale. Es la marmota y ...

Es como si le saliera un grano al mar , un grano negro, una mota en el mar , marmota.

También dícese del mar del, ¿Humorista castro manchego? mar-mota

What does "le sale" mean here? Who is "le"?
How can we rewrite the sentence if we don't use "le"? (That is, how to replace the pronoun.)

• The meaning is a little vague, can you add some more context?
    – leonbloy
    Feb 4, 2012 at 13:38
  • Looks like a conversation. Perhaps you could post the whole thing.
    – César
    Feb 4, 2012 at 14:16
  • @leonboy y César: yes, it is from a conversation. I've editted my question again.
    – user468
    Feb 4, 2012 at 15:44
  • it does not yet makes sense to me.
    – leonbloy
    Feb 4, 2012 at 18:41

1 Answer 1

This dialog seems quite senseless. It seems to be taken from a humorous show or dialog (because I think that the "Humorista castro manchego" is José Mota, the famous Spanish comedian, and for that reason he says "mar-mota" -sea of José Mota). Many of these shows uses a lot of sentences intentionally ambiguous and many times use grammatically incorrect sentences just for fun.

Anyway, I think "le sale" is a use of the verb with an indirect object: so that this "le" would mean "to him". It's the same as saying:

le salen a él.

as "él" is a pronoun when you say "a él" you have to add before the verb the pronoun "le". Sometimes "a él" is ommited because it's understood by the context, but you can't ommit "le"

le salen a él = le salen

As for example you can say:

Me salieron granos - I broke out in spots;

or

Me salieron granos a mi.

• thanks for your answer. Yes the conversation is extracted from the radio and they are making jokes for "marmota". Actually I did not understand what they were talking about.
    – user468
    Feb 5, 2012 at 4:19
  • if "le sale" is a reflexive verb, isn't it should be "se sale"? Why we use "le"?
    – user468
    Feb 5, 2012 at 4:21
  • @Cadenza yeah you're right it's an indirect object because it's not referring to the subject of the sentence. I've updated the answer.
    – Juanillo
    Feb 5, 2012 at 15:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.