Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In English (at least American English), "twang" is an onomatopoeia describing the sound of a plucked or vibrating string. It also describes a characteristic of that sound (more common in, say, country music or certain types of guitars). Is there any close word in Spanish for "twang"? If not, how would you describe this concept to a Spanish speaker?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

No equivalence, I'm afraid (I play guitar, but not electric). It seems that the word is used among electric guitar players untranslated:

share|improve this answer

Playing with Google Translate I get these:

  • Noun: tañido, sonido vibrante, acento
  • Verb: vibrar, hacer vibrar

In sentences where it seemed the most like it was focusing on the onomatopoeic sound itself the word acento was chosen most regularly.

Obviously acento has the primary sense of "accent". It seems there may be no Spanish word that means "twang" and only "twang" but this is perfectly normal when mapping one language to another. There is tañido, which I'm not familiar with. Wiktionary suggests it is more associated with bells than strings but it may also work for you.

share|improve this answer

Although this alternative is not "formal" (as it is something you'd find in light-hearted books/movies/comics/comedy TV/etc), you could use "pum" (pronounced "poom" in Spanish), or even "pow".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.