Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Cuando se describe el tiempo, se usa "hace", por ejemplo, "hace frío" o "hace sol". ¿Es lo mismo con la temperatura?

Si es la temperatura de algo, como una persona o comida, ¿es lo mismo?

share|improve this question

hace sol sounds just wrong to me and so as hace luna. –  César Feb 4 '12 at 14:28

@César in Spain "hace sol" is one of the most common ways of saying "it's sunny" –  Juanillo Feb 4 '12 at 17:23

@Juanillo I know, in Perú we use it too. But is it correct? How about (El día) está soleado? hace calor would be better if we are talking about temperature. –  César Feb 4 '12 at 17:32

@César From RAE definition of "hacer": "35. impers. Expresa la cualidad o estado del tiempo atmosférico. Hace calor, frío, buen día Hace bueno Mañana hará malo". So it's correct. I don't really know why you think it's not. Of course you can also say "El día está soleado" but it doesn't mean that "hace sol" is wrong. buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?LEMA=hacer –  Juanillo Feb 5 '12 at 15:29

Ahy una parte de colombia y en argentina que se dice Esta haciendo fresco –  AlejoNext Aug 16 '12 at 5:58
add comment

1 Answer

For the weather we use the verb "hacer" in an impersonal use (the sentence doesn't have subject)

Hace frío --> It is cold

Hace sol --> It is sunny

For the temperature, we use the verb "haber" also in an impersonal way (if you are referring for the environment temperature):

Hay 17 grados (centígrados) (It is 37ºC)

you can also use alternatives like these:

Tenemos un día soleado (centígrados) (we have a sunny day)

Hoy tenemos 17 grados (centígrados) (Today it is 37ºC)

Hoy estamos a 17 grados (centígrados) (Today it is 37ºC)

In case you're referring to the temperature of a person you can use "tener":

Tengo 37 grados de temperatura (I have a temperature of 37ºC)

Tengo 37 grados de fiebre (I have a temperature of 37ºC)

Tengo fiebre (I have a temperature)

With things we usually use "estar" or "tener una temperatura":

La lava está a 700ºC (the lava has a temperature of 700ºC)

La lava tiene una temperatura de 700ºC (the lava has a temperature of 700ºC)

share|improve this answer
Javi, you don't say "There are 37°C" in English. You can say "It's 37°C today." –  Icarus Feb 1 '12 at 15:57

@Icarus, ok, thanks, updated –  Javi Feb 1 '12 at 16:21
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.