Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the best English translation for the Spanish phrase desarrollo integral (as applied to a person or country)? "Complete development" doesn't sound right, and I can't find the phrase in my dictionary.

share|improve this question
Just found this which gives several possible translations. I like "holistic development" when applied to people. – jrdioko Jan 30 '12 at 17:17
up vote 3 down vote accepted

IMHO the literal translation works

integral development

I know search results are not a perfect index but that gives a good idea about its usage. This translation gives 25 million+ (1 million for literal search) results on google.

Now there is another translation I can think of but it doesn't have the exact same meaning only the same idea. As with most of translations one has to conform on translating the rough meaning or idea, as literal translations are not always possible or appropriate.

complete development


All-inclusive development

These two don't sound very natural, specially complete development as you say. If I were in your shoes I'd use integral development in this case.

share|improve this answer
"integral development" brings over 1 million results not 25. You have to put it in quotation marks in the search.… (though over one million is quite good too :) ) – Javi Jan 30 '12 at 9:58
Edited :-) Thanks!! – Joze Jan 30 '12 at 10:29
@Joze: I think it should be "all-inclusive", with the hyphen. – CesarGon Jan 30 '12 at 14:22

I often use "comprehensive" as a translation of the Spanish "integral", so "comprehensive development" could work for you.

share|improve this answer

The term I would use is "internal development." As opposed to development brought about, or "forced" from the outside.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.