Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

please look at the below sentence:

Gabriela no quiere presentarnos a sus amigas.

(Gabriela doesn't want to introduce us (DO) to her friends (IO)) where DO is Direct Object and IO is indirect object.

nos=DO, a sus amigas=IO

Due to IO+DO rule, so the word should be "presentárlasnos" where "las"(IO), then "nos" (DO), no?

But why the correct answer is "presentárnoslas"?

share|improve this question
You wrote a different verb in the title... :P –  Alenanno Jan 28 '12 at 16:04
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

You can check the section 4 of this link. There you can read this:

Orden de las secuencias de clíticos. Un mismo verbo puede llevar dos y hasta tres pronombres clíticos, que se anteponen o posponen al verbo siempre en bloque, no pudiendo anteponerse unos y posponerse otros. El orden no es libre y se somete, básicamente, a la regla que establece que los pronombres de segunda persona preceden a los de primera y estos a los de tercera, salvo a la forma se, que precede a todas las demás (se + 2.ª pers. + 1.ª pers. + 3.ª pers.):

«Ay, Dios, que te me lo llevaste cuando más falta me hacía»

«Cualquiera se te la llevará delante de las narices»

no son correctas, por tanto, secuencias como:

«No me se haga el pendejo, Balbicito, no me cojudee» *(Incorrect).

So the rule is that you have to follow this order

1. Pronoun "se"

2. Pronouns of second person

3. Pronouns of first person

4. Pronouns of third person

So:

• "nos" refers to we, it's a pronoun of 1st person.

• "las" refers to they, it's a pronoun of 3rd person

The pronouns of 1st person goes before the ones of 3rd person as it's indicated in the order, so it should be "presentárnoslas" and not *presentárlasnos.

share|improve this answer

Oops, what a mistake! I have a typo in the caption subject!! ~_~ –  Cadenza Jan 29 '12 at 4:41
To me, "presentárnoslas" sounds like "introduce them to us", not "introduce us to them", which is what the OP meant. But *presentarlasnos is definitely incorrect. –  MikMik Jan 30 '12 at 7:12

@MikMik you're right, "presentárnoslas" means "introduce them to us" though the question is about the order of "nos"/"las". –  Javi Jan 30 '12 at 8:16

@Javi: yes, but the OP says "us" is the direct object and "her friends" the indirect object. I'll write it in English, to make things clear: "Gabriela does not want to introduce us to her friends". "Presentárnoslas" doesn't match exactly that sentence (by meaning yes, because the introduction is mutual), I think. But maybe it does, according to the link you provide. –  MikMik Jan 30 '12 at 9:11
@Cadenza: I meant that "presentárnoslas", to me, sounds like "introduce them to us" not "introduce us to them", which is what the question asked. However, since you introduce people "both ways", it doesn't matter so much. But let's change the verb and use "entregar". Entregárnoslas is "give them to us", but "give us to them"? –  MikMik Feb 2 '12 at 6:43
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.