Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have heard this phrase a lot of times before in forms like:

Take (anything) for granted.

Don't take (anything) for granted.

I'm not sure about how to translate it:

Dar (algo) por terminado/realizado/hecho

Is this ok? If not, what would be the correct translation of this phrase? Can you give examples of its usage?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I think it means: to think that something is true but never have thought about it or wondered why it is true or is this way.

So it can be translated as:

Dar < algo > por sentado

Dar < algo > por hecho

share|improve this answer
In English at least, "to take for granted" describes something you have but are not necessarily thankful or grateful for (for example, your family or easy access to medical care or freedom of speech). It often comes up when situations change so something is no longer available and you realize, "Wow, I really took ... for granted." –  jrdioko Jan 27 '12 at 17:53

Also, what's the difference between Dar algo por sentado and Darlo algo por sentado? –  jrdioko Jan 27 '12 at 17:53
@jrdioko "darlo algo por sentado" is incorrect because "lo" it's a subtitute for algo so "Dar algo por sentado" = "Darlo por sentado" –  Laura Jan 27 '12 at 18:28

@Laura of course. I wanted to express that it was used with "something" but forgot to remove "lo". Thanks. –  Javi Jan 28 '12 at 15:03

@jrdioko these expressions also match the definition you give. Indeed it seems that the expression in English has those 2 meanings as well as it's stated here: idioms.thefreedictionary.com/granted –  Javi Jan 28 '12 at 15:07
add comment

Another possible (and usual) translation is:

dar <algo> por descontado
add comment

To take something for granted translates literally to dar algo por sentado, and both expressions mean exactly the same.

To take it for granted can be a little bit shorter in its Spanish version since the object can be included in the verb dar, as in darlo por sentado.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.