Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English, there is a phrase "They don't call me ... for nothing." (showing that some nickname someone has has been confirmed by something they just did or are about to do). Is there any equivalent expression in Spanish?

share|improve this question

(showing that some nickname someone has has been confirmed by something they just did or are about to do) ??? –  Eduardo Jan 27 '12 at 22:32

@Eduardo: Sorry if that didn't make sense. As an example, let's say I'm really good at fixing things and people call me "Mr. Fixes-Everything." Then if I just finished fixing something difficult, I might say, "Well, they don't call me 'Mr. Fixes-Everything' for nothing!" Kind of a forced example, but that's the idea... –  jrdioko Jan 27 '12 at 22:42
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

These are acceptable translations:

• No me llaman ... por nada.
  • No me llaman ... en vano.

Alternatively, you can use the more idiomatic (in Spain):

• Por algo me llaman ...
share|improve this answer

+1 Por algo me llaman... is also used in Colombia. No me llaman en vano is rarely, if ever, used in Colombia. –  Icarus Jan 26 '12 at 21:47

It could be idiomatic but it doesn't fit to the question; it has a completely different meaning. –  Eduardo Jan 27 '12 at 22:38

@CesarGon: After OP's clarification, Por algo me llaman would be the best alternative. Upvoting, sorry for the previous comment. –  Eduardo Jan 27 '12 at 22:55

The first ones are also a little more idiomatic (at least in Argentina) in this form: "No por nada me llaman..." "No en vano me llaman..." –  leonbloy Jan 29 '12 at 4:37
add comment

No me llaman a menos que sea importante would be an expression often heard in support positions.

UPDATE: After OP's clarification No me dicen/llaman ... por nada/en vano would seem to fit OP's question.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.