Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Other than juicio, which has the additional meaning of a legal trial, these words all have to do with wisdom, judgement, and/or sense, as I understand it.

In what ways are they different?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Cordura, sensatez and juicio can be (and are) used as synonyms according to RAE, but in everyday speaking (this is my view on the matter):

Cordura: Sanity (opposed to madness)

Sensatez: sense (opposed to imprudent)

Juicio: Kind of old-fashioned, but used in sentences like "Has perdido el juicio?" (Have you lost your mind?)

Sabiduría means Wisdom and can be used as a synonym of the other words but usually is understood as a person with lot of knowledge, academic or any other kind.

share|improve this answer

Very nice answer! Nothing to add! :-) –  Joze Jan 24 '12 at 9:22

Sensatez = Sensibility –  MikMik Jan 24 '12 at 10:12
@MikMik sensibility = sensibilidad But I corrected anyway because I wrote the adverb and not the noun, so thanks! :D –  Laura Jan 24 '12 at 10:53

Hmm, when I learnt that English sensible is not Spanish sensible but sensato, I thought that sensibility was its corresponding noun for "capacity for being sensible", and that idea's been there for years. You learn something new every day. Thanks –  MikMik Jan 24 '12 at 11:26
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.