I'm searching the word that describes both "analyze" and "make a decision." I want to use it as the name of a process.

Edit:

I would like a word that encapsulates the meaning of:

• Analyze options
  • Choose one (make the decision)

Edit 2:

It will be a process done by a software.

It would be good if you could show us an example of where you would use it. I am sure this will boost our creativity : )
    – fedorqui
    Nov 2, 2015 at 9:36
    according to this accepted answer english.stackexchange.com/questions/6431/… you want the translation of 'make a decision'. Please let us know if this is correct and provide an example of the intended use.
    – DGaleano
    Nov 2, 2015 at 13:36
  • Apparently, "making a decision" is what I'm looking for. What would be am appropriate translation? Nov 2, 2015 at 13:42
  • I think that actualizar would envelope the phrase you're looking for.
    – dockeryZ
    Nov 3, 2015 at 2:03
  • Also, the verb decidir itself can mean both, depending on the aspect: el juez decidía el caso (lo estaba contemplando, he was deciding/deliberating), y el juez decidió el caso (emitió su dictamen, he decided it / issued his judgment) Nov 4, 2015 at 3:43

4 Answers 4

determinar significa, según el DRAE (23.ª ed.), a la vez y en forma no pronominal, discernir y tomar resolución.

• y funciona perfectamente para una rutina de software.
    – Rodrigo
    Nov 3, 2015 at 13:49
  • Si, al parecer esta es la palabra más apropriada hasta ahora. Nov 3, 2015 at 13:53

May be the word deliberar, but I'm not sure it can be used with both directions simultaneously.

Estamos felices porque el jurado deliberó a nuestro favor.

Deliberar no incluye la toma de la decision. Es solo el proceso para llegar a ella. La decision final es el veredicto. Estamos felices porque el jurado emitió un veredicto favorable RAE
    – DGaleano
    Nov 2, 2015 at 13:43
  • Tienes razón, y por eso mi duda. Pero mira la segunda acepción que da la RAE (en el link). Entonces el ejemplo que pongo sirve tanto para "consideró" como para "resolvió".
    – Rodrigo
    Nov 2, 2015 at 13:46
    Excelente propuesta. Originariamente era el proceso de análisis, pero se empieza a usar como entrega de los resultados del análisis (sí, veredicto). Curiosamente (por azar, imagino) tiene un símil con "delivery", que es entrega. Quizás @Christian podría mezclarlo para nombrar el proceso.
    – Giuseppe
    Nov 2, 2015 at 15:47
  • Excellent proposal. Originally it refers to the analysis process, but nowadays it's being used as the delivering of the end results of that analysis (yes, "veredicto"). Strangely, it looks similar to "delivery" (the English word). Maybe @Christian could mix them to name the process.
    – Giuseppe
    Nov 2, 2015 at 15:50
  • I don't think "deliberar" is appropriate in my case. It will be a process done by a software. Nov 3, 2015 at 1:08

How about "discriminar"?

It's my best guess, in its meaning of: "determinar, precisar, definir."

Some others that may come close to parts of the whole process could be:

"Tamizar"

"Discernir"

"ponderar"

"filtrar" or "cribar"

"evaluar"

"precisar"

• Mmmm, nope. I don't think any are useful in my case. Let me know if there is something I should specify better. Nov 3, 2015 at 3:16
  • Lol, ok. No, I don't think there's anything you could precise better. The difficulty lies in the concept. Both parts (analyze and decide) are mutually exclusive, uhmm, are "brainly" of different nature, lol, I don't know how to say that. For sure there must be at least one word, but it's a challenge to find it.
    – Giuseppe
    Nov 3, 2015 at 3:19
  • Answering this question is starting to metaphorically illustrate your process itself. : ))
    – Giuseppe
    Nov 3, 2015 at 3:19
    I know what you mean... Maybe we should create a new word :P Nov 3, 2015 at 3:21
    LOL. I vote for "Analicidir"
    – Giuseppe
    Nov 3, 2015 at 3:22

In software engineering, this is represented by a "diagrama de flujo". Maybe you can call the process "flujo"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.