Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do I refer to raw (unpastuerized) milk in Spanish?

Leche cruda is the obvious translation, but I have learned that cruda and raw have some different uses and subtleties about them.

And I know I've been corrected before when I say "leche cruda"... I just don't remember what I was told to say instead (in fact, I think I've had different answers before).

share|improve this question

I've never even heard it referred to as "raw milk" in English until I read it right here (-: –  hippietrail Nov 16 '11 at 16:06
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

I've always heard it as leche cruda, though according to Wikipedia it can also be leche bronca.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Leche cruda is OK, in this Linguee query you can also see translated to Spanish in the same way.

add comment

the correct translation is leche bronca in most of the countries as stated on wikipedia however it could be leche cruda as you stated, however from what you've posted you live in Guadalajara (Mexico) and there they call it leche bronca.

This is not true in Argentina (for example) –  jmfsg Nov 16 '11 at 1:58

it is not an incorrect answer though, I edited it just for the sake of disambiguation –  isJustMe Nov 16 '11 at 2:36

Also not true in Colombia nor in Peru or Chile –  Randolf R-F Nov 16 '11 at 2:48

neither leche bronca nor leche cruda ? my answer has both of them. –  isJustMe Nov 16 '11 at 2:50

@RandolfRincón-Fadul: Leche cruda is very common in Colombia. I agree that leche bronca is rare in Colombia. –  Jaime Soto Nov 17 '11 at 4:23
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.