Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English, the interjection "Great!" can be used to respond to almost any statement. In Spanish, I've heard a few similar interjections:

• ¡Qué bien!
  • ¡Qué bueno!
  • ¡Está bien!
  • ¡Está bueno!

I've always had a hard time understanding the difference between these and when they're used. What are the options for translating "Great!", and how are they used?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

This translation will depend not only on the country or region you're speaking Spanish, but will also depend on the age the people you are talking to.

For example, in Chile (and I think in many other places as well) we can say with a "neutral dialect":

• ¡Genial!
  • ¡Excelente!

But according to the age of the people who were talking, you could hear also in Chile:

• ¡Bacán! (a word from the nineties)
  • ¡Groso! (a word from the eighties)
  • ¡La raja! (a very informal way)
share|improve this answer

Joya, masa, bárbaro, buenísimo and copado are commonly used in informal every-day speech in Argentina. Bárbaro and buenísimo, however, are a little more formal/safer to use than the others. –  Eduardo Jan 24 '12 at 20:37
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.