Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Garden shears (pruning shears) are specialized scissors used in gardening. Loppers are a bigger, two-handed version used to cut larger branches. Are there specific terms in Spanish to refer to these tools, or would they all be considered tijeras?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

They are called tijeras de podar, tijeras de jardinero, or podaderas.

I would say tijeras de jardinero is mostly used for the big ones, but there aren't really different words for pruning shears and loppers.

According to Laura (in Majorca?): Garden shears = tijeras de podar, loppers = tijeras de fuerza (this term is unknown to me).

share|improve this answer
Actually there are different words. Garden shears = tijeras de podar, loppers= tijeras de fuerza – Laura Jan 17 '12 at 22:02
@Laura: Added, thanks. I put it as a regionalism, please correct if it isn't so (I "communitied" the answer). – angus Jan 17 '12 at 23:00
I really don't know if it's a regionalism. I work in gardening so I have a name for every tool, but I don't know anymore if they're technicall, common, regional... :D – Laura Jan 18 '12 at 14:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.