Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The "textbook" way to say "you're welcome" in Spanish is de nada. English has many ways to express this:

• You're welcome.
  • No problem.
  • Don't worry about it.
  • My pleasure.

What other ways are there in Spanish to respond to someone saying gracias? If there are many options, what are the most commonly used 4-5?

share|improve this question

related: spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/854/… –  leonbloy Jan 16 '12 at 19:50
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The most common ones (of course, which one is the most common one, will depend on geographical/regional/cultural considerations):

• De nada.

• Por nada.

• No hay de qué.

• Con mucho gusto.

• Es un placer.

For a discussion on De nada y Por nada, See Are there any differences between "de nada" and "por nada"?

share|improve this answer

+1 for con mucho gusto and es un placer. These are much closer to the English "you're welcome"; "de nada" is more like "no problem," which doesn't express happiness to have helped someone. –  Nathan Long Feb 20 '12 at 1:53

can we use "encantado" for "My pleasure"? –  Tomas Nov 8 '12 at 12:10

you've missed the "Don't worry about it." part of the question - I guess spanish would say "No se preocupe"/"No te preocupes" to express this. Or maybe "Tranquilo/a", but maybe this sounds more impertinently, like "calm yourself"? –  Tomas Nov 8 '12 at 12:16
add comment

You're welcome.

In Spain two most popular answers are A ti and De nada. Especially as a response to single word gracias.

No hay de qué is bit more formal, not quite as often used.

No problem.

Don't worry about it.

No hay problema or Sin problema, although I'd say it's not so often answer to thanks, but rather when asking for someone's help.

My pleasure.

(Fue) Un placer

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.