Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When I first went to Argentina a long time ago I spent 5 minutes trying to ask the person at the bar in a club for a glass of "Siete up" until they eventually understood that I wanted a glass of "Seven up" and I felt pretty stupid...

So my question is:

Do all Spanish speaking countries call 7up, "Seven up"?

I'm guessing that the adverts on TV for '7up' call it by the English name so everyone else does too?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

At least in Argentina, as you already know, it's called Seven up.

Sprite is also pronounced the very same way as in English. The same bartender will also have some trouble trying to serve you a Sprite if you told him that you wanted a Sprite as it would sound in natural Spanish. If Sprite wasn't a well known brand but a common word, it would have surely already been naturalized as Sprait.

Fútbol for example, is a naturalized word, that has its root in the English word football, but was transformed in such a way that when pronounced it keeps the original sound of its English root.

Cederrón is another example of a naturalization of another English term, or in this case acronym, CD-ROM, that sounds almost the same as the original term in its original language. The only difference would be the ending n, that I guess was transformed from an m to avoid the word ending in m which is an unnatural ending in Spanish.

share|improve this answer

Thanks. The reason i didn't expect 7up to be naturalized was because of the fact that the seven is always written as the number not the word =) But I suppose with media such as TV and radio, you frequently hear it as well as read it. –  Kage Jan 16 '12 at 3:27

In Mexico, both 7-Up and the 7-Eleven convenience store are usually called simply Seven, and Sprite is pronounced as Esprait. –  Flimzy Jan 16 '12 at 7:31
In Perú is also "seven up". I'm not 100% sure, but from my experience only in Spain they try to convert to spanish everything. In Latin America you keep english pronuntiation usually. –  Ricardo Jan 16 '12 at 8:28

In Chile we also say "seven up". –  dusan Jan 16 '12 at 12:21
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.