Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the most natural translation of the English phrase "It was great to see you" (as in what you would say after seeing a friend you hadn't seen for a long time)?

share|improve this question

Colombian way: ¡Rico verte! –  Randolf R-F Nov 16 '11 at 3:58
@jrdioko, don't forget to accept the correct answer. –  dusan Nov 17 '11 at 16:46

@dusan: I try to hold off on accepting answers during private beta to give everyone a chance to chip in. –  jrdioko Nov 17 '11 at 17:34
add comment

4 Answers 4

up vote 9 down vote accepted

I would say

Me dio gusto verte.

share|improve this answer
This is very country dependent. Never heard it in Spain. –  Rellikiox Jan 2 '12 at 21:38
add comment

More formal:

Encantado/a de verte/haberte visto (de nuevo)

Less formal:

Me alegro de verte

Me ha alegrado verte

Informal:

Que genial verte

Cuánto tiempo

Que guay (I think just Spain and kind of childish/posh) verte/encontrarte

add comment

In Mexico we say:

¡Qué milagro!

I dont think that you should put question mark as its not an interrogative sentence. –  Robin Nov 16 '11 at 9:57
add comment

I've been told by a Spaniard:

¡Buen conocerte!

Note: As per Joel's comments below, this isn't universally recognised

Never ever heard that in Spain, especially because in Spain "conocerte" means to meet you for the first time, and the question is about meeting/seeing again. If someone told me "buen conocerte", I would know he/she is not from Spain. –  JoulSauron Nov 16 '11 at 9:06

Ah. The "de nuevo" was my addition, but the guy was from Málaga and that was how he said goodbye. Perhaps it's a regional phrase? –  Brian E Nov 16 '11 at 9:09

Either he was not Spaniard native or it's just I've never heard of it. –  JoulSauron Nov 16 '11 at 9:15
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.