Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have heard many different translations for bowl (the dish) in different Spanish-speaking countries. What words are normally used to translate "bowl"? Which is most universally understood? What regional variants are there?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 8 down vote accepted

From the top of my head, I use here in Spain, quite interchangeably:

  • tazón
  • cuenco
  • bol
  • ponchera

As per the comments, I've added ponchera to the list.
Now, thinking a bit about this, I would say I use

  • bol: as a generic semispheric vessel (any size).
  • ponchera: as a large bowl (a punch-bowl)
  • cuenco: also generic, but smaller ones
  • "tazón" for this kind of bowl (with a "foot"):
    enter image description here
share|improve this answer
+1 bol and cuenco are news to me :) –  Icarus Jan 13 '12 at 19:52
Ponchera is another possible translation. –  Gonzalo Medina Jan 16 '12 at 0:48
bol is the most familiar to me –  leonbloy Jan 16 '12 at 16:32
add comment

I think that "at least when I grew up" we called bowls by their function.

  • "Plato de sopa" (soup plate)
  • "Plato de cereal" (cereal plate)
  • "Plato hondo" (deep plate)
share|improve this answer
please try to spell words correctly both in English and Spanish –  Javi Jan 13 '12 at 10:27
Believe me I tray –  Fortunato Jan 13 '12 at 20:46
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.