Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've heard several different words used for 'to become' in Spanish. Obviously sometimes there are specific verbs to use, like 'enfadarse' means to become angry, but often you need to use a verb that just means 'to become' along with a noun or adjective along with it.

Some of the more prevalent are hacerse, ponerse, convertirse en, etc. How can I learn to use these, and other words when necessary, to translate 'to become'? Are there some general rules to follow or will I need to memorize all of them on a case-by-case basis?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 10 down vote accepted

As Randolf Rincón-Fadul says, it depends. Here is a page where it shows some of the possible cases of translating 'to become'.

Edit: I found a PDF file titled 23 Ways to Translate Become in Spanish, check it out.

share|improve this answer
+1 for the PDF link –  razpeitia Nov 16 '11 at 17:38
add comment

My 2 cents: Depends.

Two related examples:

to become an actor >> convertirse en actor

to become famous >> volverse famoso

It depends if its kind of a transformation (physical, educational and so on) you use "convertirse"; if it's something more light then you use "hacerse o volverse".

I become sad => Me pongo triste. –  dusan Nov 16 '11 at 1:32

@dusan Thanks! Didn't think about it :S –  Randolf R-F Nov 16 '11 at 1:34

@dusan normally you won't hear "become" sad, but rather something like "I get sad..." or "it makes me sad...", or even using the verb "it saddens me...". –  neizan Mar 7 at 12:46
add comment

I was surprised "llegar a ser" didn't make into the conversation already. While all the other forms mentioned are very common, I've heard this one plenty of times, and I think it's a useful one to know. This article mentions that "llegar a ser" "...typically suggests a long or difficult period of change to become something", which in my personal experience sounds reasonable. Furthermore, the comments in that same article concerning the formulation llegar a + infinitive are interesting.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.