Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There are many vulgar terms for excrement, but what are the non-vulgar, polite ones (used in medical settings, or with children, or among adults in polite conversation)?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 12 down vote accepted

All of these terms are quite "polite":

• Excremento
  • Heces (the singular is hez, but it's used in plural for this meaning)
  • Deposición (very formal, used by the medical profession)
  • Deyección (very formal, so much that some people wouldn't know its meaning; used by the medical profession)
  • Defecación (very formal, used in medical environments)
  • Materia fecal (very formal, used in clinical tests)
  • Caca (not so polite as the others, but probably the term used with children)
  • Popó (more childish even than caca, term used with children)
share|improve this answer
+1 "defecación" is common for polite use (not very formal, just formal) but it's more used for the act than for the product. "excremento" is preferred. And "caca" is slightly childish/informal, but not vulgar. –  leonbloy Jan 13 '12 at 20:42

Another relevant one to add to the list: "materia fecal". It's used, almost exclusively, for clinical tests. –  leonbloy Jan 13 '12 at 23:29

@leonbloy yeah I agree with your comments. Thanks I've include it in the answer. –  Javi Jan 15 '12 at 15:38
Popó is also used for children :) –  Joze Jan 15 '12 at 22:00

@Joze I've included it, thanks. –  Javi Jan 16 '12 at 8:12
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.