Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Does pico de gallo (the type of salsa) literally translate as "rooster's beak"? If so, where did it get that name, and how does that describe the salsa?

share|improve this question

My guess is that it's related to the fact that the salsa resembles something that has been pecked by a rooster. That is, small bits of stuff. –  Flimzy Jan 12 '12 at 4:27
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Wikipedia has two possible explanations:

• (...) it is so called because originally it was eaten with the thumb and forefinger, and retrieving and eating the condiment resembled the actions of a pecking rooster
  • (...) the name could be a simple allusion to the bird feed-like minced texture and appearance of the sauce

So it seems that the origin of the name is not very clear.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Fighting Cocks are calmed by their handlers by placing the rooster's head in the mouth. Darkness causes birds to immediately begin the sleep cycle. It was explained to me (by a great Restaurant ower in Acuna, Mex.)that often as soon as the handler put the bird's head in his mouth he would often be pecked on the tongue. The spices in the salsa gives the same feeling, hence "pico de gallo" is the beak of a fighting rooster biting your tongue! Much better explanation..

Me interesa que la salsa vietnamita también se llama "rooster sauce". –  Chuck Krutsinger Jun 25 '13 at 21:18
add comment

I'm from Northern Mexico and "pico de gallo" translates to pico (pecked) de gallo (from a rooster) so in the culinary industry it is a relish but in Mexico it is a tradition (it's something that a rooster pecked).

add comment

A "minced-texture" concoction would also explain why "pico de gallo" is used by some in Northern Mexico not as a name for salsa but as a name for a chilled side dish of finely chopped jicama, orange juice and plain Tapatio-style sauce.

Thanks, and welcome to the site! –  jrdioko Aug 9 '12 at 22:00
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.