Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a name in Spanish for the inner part of the elbow (on the opposite side of the part we call "elbow")? If not, how would it best be described?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Yes, there's a name (although not very commom): sangradura o sangría. Here are the (relevant part of the) definitions according to the DRAE:


  1. f. Parte hundida del brazo opuesta al codo.


3 . f. Parte de la articulación del brazo opuesta al codo.

Although those are the "official" names, they are rarely used and it's usual to refer to this part (at least in Colombia) as el pliegue del codo.

share|improve this answer
I think I had never heard or read those words with that meaning in Spain – MikMik Jan 10 '12 at 8:04
It is common in medical circles because as the name indicates its where you get blood. "Sangradura"=(bleeding spot) and "sangreria"=(bleeding mess) – Fortunato Jan 11 '12 at 10:39

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.