Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the best Spanish translation of the English idiom "to play favorites" (as in favoring individuals in a group instead of treating everyone equally)?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

For children we use "Consentido" meaning your favorite one.

In bigness use "Preferido" as Laura stated the Mexican slang is "Enchufado"

share|improve this answer
I think that when citing a regionalism or slang, the origin should be cited too, because slang is of course not consistent throughout all of the spanish speaking world. –  Petruza Jan 10 '12 at 2:24

Will do thank you –  Fortunato Jan 10 '12 at 7:52

I think your answer relates to "favorite", but I don't see clearly how does it relate to the original question idiom "to play favorites". –  Gonzalo Medina Jan 10 '12 at 22:36

It is traditionally say that your "Consentido(a)" is your favorite child because you let them getaway with stuff. And "prferido" is a person hum you give all the easy jobs to when you have a choice. –  Fortunato Jan 11 '12 at 1:58
add comment

I would say

favoritismo, favoritismos.

Here's the definition given in the DRAE:

favoritismo.

(De favorito).

1. m. Preferencia dada al favor sobre el mérito o la equidad, especialmente cuando aquella es habitual o predominante.
share|improve this answer
Less formal "Estar enchufado" or "tener enchufe". –  Laura Jan 8 '12 at 10:35

@Laura: that may be a regionalism, where have you heard it? Doesn't mean this in Argentina. –  Petruza Jan 10 '12 at 2:23

@Petruza Sorry, I'm from Spain. –  Laura Jan 10 '12 at 23:00
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.