Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have read that duende can mean both a mythical creature or, metaphorically, a kind of magical sensation to something. What exactly does duende refer to in both senses? How would both of these senses be best translated to English?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

As you said, Duende has two basic meanings:

• Mythical Creature Traditionally it refers to a mischievous spirit that inhabits a house. Now it's also used to refer to small creatures with magical powers; they usually are very skinny, have big heads, big eyes and long ears (also, Santa's Helpers are called "Duendes de Santa Claus").

• Feeling It's almost exclusively used in Flamenco. It's a mysterious sensation that is very hard to define. More here.

Over all, it's a very complex word, it has a lot of history, and can be used in several sentences, and mean something different in each one, but it's always something special.

From the RAE and Wikipedia

share|improve this answer
Good answer. I'd like to reinforce that duende meaning feeling is hardly used, if ever, when not refering to flamenco. –  MikMik Dec 30 '11 at 8:33

I edited the answer to make that more clear. –  Rellikiox Dec 30 '11 at 11:26
+1 Now I know that duende was also used to signify a feeling. Until now, I had never heard the word used in a different context other than the mythical creature. –  Icarus Dec 30 '11 at 15:24

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.