Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Nicaragua, the phrase "dale pues" is very frequently used. What does the phrase mean, and in what contexts can it be used?

share|improve this question
el "pues" es mágico n_n "ya pues", "no pues", "ven pues"..."como pues????" –  pleasedontbelong Nov 15 '11 at 23:42

3 Answers 3

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Being from Nicaragua that means that you agree to do something, use something or agree with someone (sometimes after a discussion when someone has convinced you). A common example:

Question: Quieres ir al cine? (would you like to see a movie) answer: dale pues.. (ok)

Nicaraguans tend not to pronounce the (s) so you might only hear: dale pue... Also another way to say "dale pues" is "va pues" where sometimes you can hear it "va pue"

All of this is also applicable in Panama, in addition to Nicaragua.

share|improve this answer

You mean "Querés ir al cine"? :) So is it basically the same as "de acuerdo" then? –  jrdioko May 10 '12 at 19:01
yes...both are correct. I tend to use more "Querés ir al cine?" to be honest like you said in your post. You can say "de acuerdo" but I think is more common to say dale pues.. I use "de acuerdo" occasionally especially when I am having a discussion with someone and I agree so I say "de acuerdo pero" but in that case I might use "esta bien pero.." –  cayerdis May 10 '12 at 19:08

I forgot to mention that another way to say "dale pues" and sounds similar is "va pues" –  cayerdis May 17 '12 at 5:01

Is there any difference between when you can use those two? –  jrdioko May 17 '12 at 16:39
both are the same, cannot think of a difference :) –  cayerdis May 18 '12 at 21:36

It's like saying, "Ok then, do it". It's a goading phrase as well. My wife says it to me all the time, especially when she's not happy.

It means let's do it and is commonly used before you are going to use or do something.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.