Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In letters or emails, I often end by saying "Thanks in advance," thanking the recipient in advance for whatever I am requesting. Is there an equivalent phrase in Spanish that is used in the same way?

share|improve this question
It would also be interesting to know whether it is customary at all to use this phrase in Spanish? AFAIK in English it's considered very good form to add "Thanks in advance" when requesting things –  Eli Bendersky Dec 24 '11 at 6:53

I've never understood this phrase in English. If expressing thanks, written or oral, what does the "in advance" part mean? It always seems pious and prodding, like "you owe me something now that there's an advance!...." –  Ash Machine Jan 18 '12 at 21:42

@AshMachine: Personally, I don't use it when asking for something the other person might decline. I think it's more common in situations where the person will carry out the request (e.g. a boss asking an employee to do something), but the thanks in advance softens the request. –  jrdioko Jan 18 '12 at 21:50

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I would say

Gracias de antemano

share|improve this answer

Gracias de antemano is what I've seen in practice. –  Kevin K. Dec 23 '11 at 22:40

Note, some people even say "gracias de antebrazo", trying to be funny. This is completely informal, but I thought it was worth mentioning, in case one day you see it. –  Diego Sep 23 at 17:29

The translation for formal letters would be:

• Agradeciendo (or Agradezco) de antemano su atención --> Thanks in advance for your attention.

In more informal letters you can say Gracias por adelantado or even just Gracias

Is gracias por adelantado only informal? I've used it with teachers too :D –  Alenanno Dec 24 '11 at 12:36

@Alennano I guess semiformal would be best. –  Laura Dec 26 '11 at 10:50

This is the best answer to me. Gracias por adelantado is what I have always used in this situation and what I have seen the most in the professional environment. –  Diego Sep 23 at 17:31

Another possibility is

Desde ya, muchas gracias.

+1. This is more natural, and what's usually seen in formal emails/letters. –  Diego Mijelshon Dec 24 '11 at 1:15

I have to disagree. I don't consider it formal. –  Diego Sep 23 at 17:26

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.