Both translate as burp or belch. Although each might have other connotations as well, I am only interested in the Spanish for a burp. What's the difference and if it's just dialectical, which one of the two is preferred in your country (I am more keen on Latin America or Mexico)?

3 Answers 3

"regüeldo" is a kind of burp with odor, and is generally more disgusting. Burp is translated as "eructo" wich is more common here in Spain.

• Really! The odor bit is interesting since none of the dictionaries mention that. Is this connotation specific to Spain?
    – TheLearner
    Nov 11, 2014 at 15:05
    Seems not. RAE (Real Academia de la lengua Española : Royal Academy of Spanish Language) mentions it as "releasing the gases from the stomach". As for common use, "eructo" is the common word, when "regüeldo" is less used. Nov 11, 2014 at 15:14
    I've never heard regüeldo in Mexico.
    – Jaume
    Nov 13, 2014 at 11:16
    It's important to mention that "regüeldo" is not used in México. While "eructar" is the most correct and common, we also use "repetir".
    – Jose Maria
    Nov 18, 2014 at 2:48

The 'Diccionario de la Real Academia' defines
eructar (the verb from which 'eructo' comes)

1. intr. Expeler con ruido por la boca los gases del estómago.

regoldar (the verb from which 'regüeldo' comes)

1. intr. Eructar los gases del estómago.

So they are synonyms.

• Great +1. Until today I didn't know regüeldo nor regoldar. In hispanoamerica we always use eructo/eructar
    – DGaleano
    Oct 23, 2016 at 14:30

The difference is merely dialectical. I have used both and I have never inferred any nuance concerning odour. "Regüeldo" is much less frequent (although in my homeland, Zaragoza, Aragón is preferred although Aragonese Spanish has a knack for expletives) and, according to Cervantes through his most celebrated character, Don Quixote, much more offensive to the ear and, thus, condemned to be ostracized. Five centuries later, it joyfully survives at least in some regions. If you want to sound polite, always use "eructo". If you use "regüeldo", people will probably think you're the kind of person who indulges in and even enjoys the action itself.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.