Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

English has several words for burial places, many of which have specific, distinct meanings:

• grave
  • tomb
  • vault
  • crypt
  • mausoleum
  • sepulcher

As far as I know, Spanish has at least two words for "grave":

• tumba
  • sepultura

What types of burial places can each word refer to? Are both generic enough to cover any burial of a body or ashes in a plot in the ground, an underground crypt, an above-ground structure, etc.? Or are they more specific?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Some of the words you mentioned have cognates in Spanish:

• tumba: place where a cadaver is buried.
  • cripta: subterranean place used to bury the dead.
  • mausoleo: a magnificent and sumptuous sepulchre.
  • sepulcro: stone construction built off the ground as a resting place for one or more cadavers.

You already mentioned sepultura as a translation of grave: place where a cadaver is buried.

Vault could be translated as bóveda: a place where a cadaver is buried or a hole made on the ground to bury a cadaver.

There is also panteón which is a cognate of pantheon. However, from my understanding this word has a more general meaning in Mexico and perhaps in Central America. In Colombia it is understood as a funeral monument to bury several bodies.

share|improve this answer

Thanks. Which of those terms would apply to a standard burial plot in the ground (no structure involved)? –  jrdioko Dec 17 '11 at 6:53

Yes in at least the places I spent the most time in Mexico, panteón is the usual word for "cemetery". –  hippietrail Dec 17 '11 at 7:59

@jrdioko, fosa. –  Peter Taylor Dec 17 '11 at 8:40
Perhaps you could also add to the list the formal cenotafio (equivalent to cenotaph). –  Gonzalo Medina Dec 17 '11 at 17:09

You could add "nicho" to the list, or is just used in Spain? –  Laura Dec 18 '11 at 12:03

I would say that "tumba" is a bit more general, a "tumba" is a place where a cadaver lies (a tomb in english). "Sepultura" implies a bit more the idea than the cadaver was put there with any sort of ceremony, or at least someone explicitly put the body there. There is the verb "sepultar" that I would translate as the action of covering something with soil or another substance. I think the right translation of "sepultura" in english is "sepulcher".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.